Following her arrest last month for driving under the influence, four-time Olympic gold medalist Mary Lou Retton said she takes “full responsibility” for her actions.
“What happened was completely unacceptable. I make no excuses,” she said in a statement to the Associated Press. “To my family, friends and my fans: I have let you down, and for that I am deeply sorry. I am determined to learn and grow from this experience, and I am committed to making positive changes in my life. I truly appreciate your concern, encouragement and continued support.”
On Tuesday, Retton entered a no contest plea to driving under the influence stemming from the May incident and was fined $100, a standard for first-time, non-aggravated offenses, her attorney Edmund J. Rollo told the outlet.
Rettonwas arrested in West Virginia on May 17 after police in Fairmont pulled her over following a report of a person driving a Porsche erratically. According to a criminal complaint, the former athlete smelled of alcohol, was slurring her words, and failed a field sobriety test. Officers also allegedly saw a wine container in the passenger seat.
Retton was charged with “driving under influence of alcohol, controlled substances, or drugs,” and released from custody after paying a $1,500 personal recognizance bond.
At 16, Retton became the first American woman to win the all-around gold medal in gymnastics at the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles. Retton has been retired for more than 30 years, having left after winning the American Cup all-around competition for the third time in 1985.
In October 2023, theDancing with the Starsalum was hospitalized in the ICUwith a rare form of pneumonia. Retton previously detailed the severity of her illness in an interview withToday. “This is serious, and this is life, and I’m so grateful to be here. I am blessed to be here because there was a time when they were about to put me on life support,” Retton shared.