Sean Kingston has now posted bail and is awaiting release after being taken back into federal custody for failing to pay bond, his lawyer tells Rolling Stone Tuesday. The musician is currently awaiting sentencing following his conviction in a federal fraud case.
“Sean’s bond was posted and being processed,” the lawyer told Rolling Stone Tuesday evening. “He has not yet been released as of 4 p.m. today.”
According to WSVN in Miami, lawyers for Kingston (real name Kisean Anderson) said at a court hearing that the musician was originally unable to pay the $100,000 bond. The judge originally ordered him back into federal custody at the Federal Detention Center in Miami to remain there until his sentencing hearing on July 11, according to the outlet.
Last month, Kingston and his mother, Janice Turner, were both convicted on wire fraud and theft charges. The feds alleged that the pair procured over $1 million worth of luxury items — including a bulletproof Escalade, a giant TV, and expensive watches — without ever paying for them.
Kingston was accused of using his celebrity status to “lull the victims into a false sense of security,” authorities said after the conviction. He allegedly promised to promote these products on social media and refer other high-profile clients. But when it came time to pay the bill, Kingston and Turner allegedly sent the vendors fake wire receipts, with no money ever being transferred from legitimate accounts.
The jury in the case deliberated for just three hours before returning the guilty verdict against Kingston and Turner late last month. While Kingston was placed on house arrest with bond, Turner — who has similar past convictions on her record and was described by the judge as the “operator, fixer, and accountant” behind the scheme — was immediately taken into custody.
This story was updated at 8:30 p.m. ET to include a statement from Kingston’s lawyer.